Dear Lafayette families,
Passport is back this year! Last year we had over 450 students test and we are hoping for even more participation this school year.
How Does it Work?
- Each student is issued a Passport in September. They have five levels of study to choose from, Level One through Level Five. If they choose level one, students will learn 40 countries and all seven continents by the end of the school year.
- Students are checked by parents each month. They are asked, “Show me (name of a country).” Students receive postage stamps to put into their Passport based on how many levels they pass. Each month students receive a new study map with different countries and the process is repeated.
- Each passport level is cumulative. For example if you are studying Level 3, you learn Levels 1, 2 &3. If you are studying Level 5, you learn Levels 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5.
Mark your calendars!!! The 2012-13 Passport check dates are:
September 25th (4th grade only)
- For the program to be a success we need 15 volunteers one morning each month from 9:30-12:00 to test students. It is a fun way to meet other parents, students and teachers.
- To sign up please go to www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F044DADA922A20-passport . You can choose the test dates that work best for you. You can also sign up by emailing Julie Pietsch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of Passport
- Provides a strong foundation of knowledge of geographical locations that broadens students’ depth of understanding for social studies.
- Helps children broaden their interest in learning about other cultures, traditions, governments, etc.
- Helps children build a sense of familiarity with other countries and cultures, which encourages understanding and acceptance of differences in people.
- Provides the opportunity for a fun parent/child education activity.
We are excited for another great year with Passport! Please help us help your children explore the world around us!
Julie Pietsch - email@example.com
Cheryl Jones – firstname.lastname@example.org